The name that has been coined by my boyfriend for this set up is “Micro Hybrid Hydroponic Apartment Gorilla Gardening”.
We have taken a fish tank and a pump and attached drip heads to the piping for containers. Any of the “run off” from 2 of the pots goes right back into the tank, and when I fill my fountain the water above a certain point will go in as well.
This is basically Phase one.
This is the before:
Here is the right now:
The pots are on some black wire shelving to get them up high enough for the fish tank.
You can just see the tank. The water is clear so it basically disappears. Of course as I use this the water is not likely to stay clear. At some point I will put fish in the tank as well. The fish poop will be good for the plants.
The small black spot is actually a drain. It is small because we wanted to do something that could be easily plugged while we tested the concept.
These are sprinkler heads. There is not really enough pressure for them to so the spray they can do. The pump we are using is not very powerful.
The deck and the attached closet needed some cleaning and an overall overhaul. I have things that should be thrown away, and things I am not using that I should give away.
At this point in the design of this system we have spent $50. That includes some items that have not been delivered to be used for soil sensors, and some pumps that we are going to make solar-powered.
Stay tune. More as we go.
If you have any questions about the plants on the deck, or anything about this project please feel free to leave a comment.
Thanks for dropping by.
Here is some pictures of the deck today. My sweet peas have started to flower. I have gotten a pretty blue and a nice deep red so far. My morning glories are climbing very well. They have put out a flower here and there. I have been dead heading the flowers each evening to try and get the vines to put out more.
One of these window boxes have carnation seeds in them. It is the one closest to me as I am taking this picture. I am not sure how tall they will get before they bloom. I have one more window box that I could plant in. I am thinking of buying some carnations for it.
The Geraniums are doing very well. I have a red and a pink. The pink is all from cuttings I took from a plant someone here at the apartment building threw out. The ‘mother’ plant is looking a lot better since I cut it back. I have a bunch of cuttings just sitting in water, that I think I will ninja plant around the apartment property.
My baby cedar is doing very well. This will be its 3rd year with me. It has gotten nice and tall. I have been getting nice new growth on the ends of the branches.
The fountain is looking a bit cluttered. But all those plants are wild flower seeds that I threw in the base of most of my pots. Not all of them are doing well. But some have just exploded.
I am going to try and learn how to make pottery this coming month. not sure exactly when. BUT the plan is to make a hummingbird bath. I am still working on how I would like it to work/look. But the goal is a shallow dish for the hummingbird to take a bath in, and possibly water falling down into it.
Well that is all I have this week.
I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Another hummingbird bath. I need to find some more music to put these videos to.
So I joined a contest to grow the largest beet. It was sponsored by My Small Town Garden, on Facebook. We were all sent seeds of the Mangel Beet. I planted mine at the end of November, and was rewarded with a seedling by December 9th.
Baby beet on December 9th 2013
My beet was not grown inside, but it was in a container, and we did have some cooler weather then I expected. In the last month it seemed to have taken off. Although it didn’t get very big. It is more like a radish.
2014-03-30 Just before being ‘harvested’
2014-03-30 Beet and greens, cleaned, and getting ready to at least measure.
2014-03-30 beet 3 inches x 1 inch, weight unknown
I was unable to weigh the cute little thing. My scale seems to be broken. And it didn’t weigh enough to register on my bathroom scale.
So the winner of this competition was the person that could grow the biggest, heaviest beet, one of 2 ways. Either outside or inside. I am not really sure I qualified for either, since although it was outside, it was in a container. I also didn’t fuss a lot about soil, fertilizer or anything. I did make sure it was in the sun, and got regular watering.
I caught this little guy today drinking and taking a “shower” in my fountain. I will keep working on a better positioning of the camera.